Monday 18 May 2009

Americans Aren't So Bad...

So, you have been very patient waiting to hear about the CD and how we get along. I knew very little about Adrian when I departed for London, except that he was new to the office, extremely creative and highly sought after in the industry. After my brief introduction, (see previous post) I feared we would not be friends but I was still hopeful to learn a lot from him.

We finally chatted on my second day, I could tell he was being cautious and wasn't quite sure he liked this whole exchange thing. I could also tell that my sex and my nationality put me into question. There was nothing I could do except win him over with my charm -- ha!

Adrian has turned out to be wonderful. He's gruff on the outside but a teddy bear on the inside. He's shown me some great work that he has created and we've discussed our thoughts on pharmaceautical advertising in general. He respects my expertise and asks my opinion about various things. Sharing the fishbowl isn't so bad. I even forgive that he is a smoker and I forgive the fact that he blatantly told me, "London is an awful place to live." Me= Look of horror and shock. Not what a single gal who has never lived in a city wants to hear from a native Englishman. My wide-eyed appearance made him recant. "Well, it's fine for single people. But once you get married and have kids..." He couldn't help himself, "But it is bloody violent." That's Adrian, he says what he believes and I like that in a person. Adrian and I are actually quite a bit alike; skeptical, hot-headed, full of dry humor and quick to laugh (when it's deserved, of course). After getting off the phone one day after a colorful conversation he said, "I hope I don't swear too much for you." I appreciated his caring but I assured him that if anyone could outswear him, it may be me. He chuckled and I said,"I'm not fucking kidding." That caused him to laugh even harder.

At the end of my second Friday here, I gathered my belongings to leave for the weekend and Adrian said, "I'm really glad you are here, Jennifer. You've changed my mind about Americans. I can see there are some good ones." I laughed and assured him that not all Americans were like me.

I think things are going to be okay at work and I feel proud representin' America and changin' minds, one Brit at a time.

Fondly,

The Temporary European

2 comments:

  1. Well I can see there is some learning to do in the fishbowl! Might want to tell him that your "mum" can swear with the best of them too! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does she swear? Really? Obviously, you are a more lady like person over the pond. They love to swear in the UK - swear away!

    ReplyDelete