Tuesday 19 May 2009

Keira, is that you, mate?

It is with a tremendous sigh of relief that I announce "I have a new, wonderful home."  After many trials and tribulations, I am finally settled into my new place. I am in the West End, which I have come to find is a very posh neighborhood. I like to describe it as a mix between the Village and SoHo. On the weekends mums walk around with their prams and shoppers canoodle at cafes while fashionistas shop themselves into a near coma (a far cry from the drug-dealing neighborhood I formerly occupied). 
You cannot imagine the angst that accompanied selecting this flat as I had NO idea where to live in this massive city. But I knew I made the right decision when one of the young, trendy girls in the office exclaimed, "Wow! You live in the West End at St. Christopher's Place?"  I do have to confess that before I signed the lease, I stopped at a boutique next-door to my flat and approached the hip salesgirls and asked them, "Would you live here, alone and feel safe?" They looked at each other and laughed and proceeded to tell me that they'd looooove to live on this street (it's actually a cobblestone-like pedestrian plaza). So, I had conducted my own market research and felt good with the results (N of 2).
Before I finish bragging (I feel I deserve if after the HELL I went through to get here), I'd like to say that Laurel told me she met Keira Knightley at my local grocery store; apparently she and Madonna shop there. I guess I have a knack for picking just the right hood...
Okay, now I'll tell you that it's a three flight walk up (which is technically four because these Brits have Ground, 1, 2, 3, etc), the world's smallest water heater and I can't close the bedroom door because the bed is in the way. Feel better now? 

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you found a better place to live. I hope you do run into someone famous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you are finally settling in! Good girl....love you loads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't sound as posh as the suburbs of NJ. He he he. I hope to visit the hood soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer you crack me up!! I love all your blogs. If you don't write a book you are crazy!! It would be a best seller!! Glad you found a better place to live! Be well and stay safe!

    Love,
    AJ

    ReplyDelete